Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Final thoughts about 23 Things

As I look back over the past few months' exploration of my learning adventure into the world of technology, I am amazed at how much I have learned. I've been keeping careful notes in a notebook, so I can revisit the various sites in the future. I plan to review them and become more comfortable with them so I can share them with my staff and customers. I'm very intrigued by Flickr. I love photography! I enjoyed looking at other people's photos. There were some incredible shots of some of my favorite places, like the Chrysler Building in NYC and Mono Lake in CA. I'm still working on learning how to upload some of my own digital photos to post. My goal is to post at least one photo on my Flickr account by December 15. I had fun creating an avatar of myself on yahoo.com. Blogging my experiences has been fun, as well as, informative. There's a whole new world out there--Libraries 2.0 is the present and Libaries 3.0 is fast approaching.
Librarians need to keep up with technology to remain viable. PGCMLS has recently added Wi-Fi to most of our branches. I've been able to help people with Apple, Dell, Gateway and Toshiba laptops access our Wi-Fi connection at LK. Each brand name computer is different, and I've been successful in all but one computer. I think 23 Things gave me the confidence to feel comfortable helping customers gain access. This summer I taught myself how to use WiFi at Panera's in Rockford, Illinois when I was visiting my family (and working on 23 things). It was easy! It's true, every success builds confidence and comfort with new skills. Although I am one of the last participants to complete this journey, I'm glad I did it. Practice make progress. I'm more aware of new technologies and less afraid to try them. That's quite a giant step for me. Yeah! Thank you for this opportunity to challenge my techno fears and grow confident in my skills as a librarian.

No comments: